SustainOSS meetupWednesday 6:30pm at Hey Love
The SustainOSS community is having a meetup on Wednesday night for early arrivers. You can sign up or show up at Hey Love at 6:30pm. We're looking forward to holding informal conversations on sustaining open source.
Official Thursday Night Social
Thursday 7-10pm at Punch Bowl Social Portland, 340 SW Morrison St Suite 4305, Portland, OR 97204 which is a quick ~15 minute Max ride from the convention center. All attendees are invited!
We are providing light snacks, and the bar will be open to purchase your choice of beverages. There will be all kind of games like bowling, ping pong, giant Scrabble, darts, shuffle board and karaoke!
There is limited outdoor space, and we'll request people wear masks while not eating and drinking inside. We are trying to be as health conscious as we can be.
Part of the cost of the venue and food was provided by RedHat, thank you!
Thursday, July 13, 2023 from 7–9pm at Sizzle Pie Central Eastside, 624 E Burnside St. Portland, OR.
A meeting of folks interested in BSD operating systems and related technologies to get together, eat pizza, drink beer, and talk about what interesting things have been going on.
Apereo SocialFOSS For Education Mixer at Spirit77 on Saturday night
Join Apereo, Virtual Inc., Unicon , and Sakai+ for an evening of FOSS, friends, and fun. Organized by the FOSS for Education track, all are welcome to mix and mingle over your favorite beverages, light snacks--and maybe a bit of edtech shop-talk. Space is limited; tickets available at the Apereo booth during the conference.
Crowdsourced Respiratory-Friendly Nearby Venues
(In no particular order. Add others you learn about!)
- Metropolitan Tavern (diagonal from the Northeast corner of OCC) has a rooftop outdoor patio. Food and drinks. https://mettavern.com/
- Pioneer Courthouse Square has lots of places to sit & visit, and a few food carts that are open daytime hours, as well as a Starbucks, and a few street-level food places around the surrounding streets. Get there via MAX on Red, Blue, or Green lines. https://www.thesquarepdx.org/
- Departure (diagnoal from Northeast corner of Pioneer Courthouse Square) is rooftop restaurant/bar. Accessible from OCC via MAX Red/Blue/Green lines (Pioneer Courthouse Square stops). https://www.departureportland.com/
- Lloyd Center Mall is the next stop east on the MAX Red/Green/Blue lines, on the north side of Holladay Park. It's a nearly-dead mall with a couple food places a few shops including a Barnes & Noble bookstore, and lots of open/quiet indoor space & seating. There are also a few restaurants just outside & to the north of the mall in adjacent/nearby buildings. https://www.lloydcenter.com/
- Portland Saturday Market is across the river on the waterfront and has quite a few food carts and outdoor places to sit and eat. (And also lots of shopping.) This used to also be open on Sunday but these days it's pretty much just Saturday lunch. Get there on the MAX Red or Blue lines (Skidmore Fountain stop). https://www.portlandsaturdaymarket.com/
- My Father's Place is a dive bar/diner that has several small sidewalk tables. Directly south of the OCC on the Portland Streetcar (Stark stops). https://myfathersplacepdx.com/
- Nong's Khao Man Gai, Snappy's Sandwiches, and Kinboshi Ramen share a good amount of outdoor seating along the sidewalk and in a covered space. Just south of the OCC, one-two blocks east of the Portland Streetcar stops @ Burnside. https://khaomangai.com/ https://www.makeitsnappys.com/ and https://www.kinboshiramen.com/
- E-San Thai has a food cart 3 streets east of the north end of the OCC in the small "Oregon Park". Open only for weekday lunches. (no web site)
- Hotlips Pizza (by the slice) is on just the other side of the river but easily accessible by taking the Portland Streetcar north from OCC and over the bridge (NW Johnson Street stops). Lots of outdoor (incl. covered) seating and a block from Jamison Square park which has more seating and a fountain to cool off. Several other restaurants with takeaway available are located within a block or two from this park. https://www.hotlipspizza.com/
- Voodoo Doughnuts is a famous Portland 24-hour doughnut place on the west side of the river, and (once you get through the often-long queue) has several outdoor tables outside to consume your sugar. From OCC, get there on the MAX Red or Blue lines (Skidmore Fountain stop). https://www.voodoodoughnut.com/
- Powell's City of Books is a favorite geek stop in Portland. They don't have anything outdoors, but across Burnside Street from there you'll find lots of outdoor seating for both Shake Shack and Sizzle Pie pizza by-the-slice. It's on basically the other (west) side of the Portland Streetcar A/B loops, using at the Couch Street stops. https://www.powells.com/
- Lardo is a popular sandwich joint with outdoor covered seating, Not so great for vegies or gluten-free options, but near a number of other cafes and restaurants, including the Asylum food carts. 1212 SE Hawthorne Blvd,, Portland, OR (503) 234-7786Daily 11AM - 10PM https://www.lardosandwiches.com
- Hawthorne Asylum has very nice selection of food carts, atmosphere, and a selection of seating areas. 1080 SE Madison St Portland, OR 97214. https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/722369995#map=19/45.51272/-122.65521
- food carts : Our food-carts are surprizingly good, and if you go to a pod of them, you get more selection and seating. OpenStreetMaps.org has a longish list of food-cart courtyards or pods. https://www.openstreetmap.org/search?query=food%20carts%20portland%20oregon#map=16/45.5354/-122.6644
- Mirisata. Sri Lankan vegan restaurant, worker co-op; outdoor seating. 2420 SE Belmont St. https://mirisata.com/ https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/368235009